The Senior 3D Artist works with the rest of the development team to translate 2D concept art into 3D models, ready for implementation in the game. The 3D artist continuously applies clever solutions to create 3D assets with incredible performance, visual appeal, and visual communication. They have a deep understanding of the technical aspects of 3D game development and have a good overview of the project as a whole. In a project they are the link between the art team and the Product Owner.
- Excellent 3D assets, that set the Paladin quality standards.
- Deliver animations, textures, special effects, and other supporting assets for the game.
- Find creative solutions for translating 2D art into living, breathing 3D models.
- Setting up the art pipeline to implement 3D assets in Unity.
- Work with art colleagues to improve the quality and processes of art creation.
- Take full responsibility for the art aspects of the game and development team.
- Coach the artist on the development team on creative aspects of the job.
- Align technologies, best practices and lessons learned with other development teams.
ROLE BASED COMPETENCIES
The Senior 3D Artist has excellent modeling and art development skills, and is able to coach other artist to improve their skills. They have deep knowledge on all things in the art pipeline. For example:
- 3D modelling, unwrapping and texturing of a wide variety of 3D models
- Animations of characters and dynamic objects
- Capability to design and create dynamic special effects in Unity
- Knowledge of real-time 3D rendering techniques
- Knowledge of Maya and Unity (or equivalent)
- Knowledge of edge flow and deformation for skinned characters
- Knowledge of low-poly modeling techniques
- Good eye for depth, volume, proportions, color, silhouette and readability
- Able to create textures in a wide variety of styles and techniques
- Organized, able to work in a file structure according to best practices
- Experience with repositories like SVN or GitHub
Apart from these technical skills, the Senior 3D Artist is the link between artists, Product Owners and other members of the team. They take ownership over the art aspects of the game development process. They have the expertise and leadership skills to coach and lead other developers, in order to grow and align the team to achieve the desired results. For example:
- Ability to clearly communicate with Product Owner and stakeholders on complicated art aspects of the game
- Highly professional attitude, with the ability to provide stability, direction, guidance, knowledge and insights to the development team
- Ability to take on a leading role in a small multidisciplinary team (6-12 team members)
- Ability to provide excellent analysis and feedback in art reviews, raising the quality bar and effectiveness of the entire team
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal
- 4+ years experience with 3D modeling for games.
- 2+ years experience with Unity and Maya.
- Read, write and talk excellent English.
- Able to work 40 hours per week at the studio in The Hague.
Paladin has six core values that we’re looking for in team members:
Synergy: We combine our individual strengths to achieve our goals.
Kaizen: We make positive changes on a regular basis.
Spark: We leave a mark, providing a positive experience for everyone involved.
Wholehearted: We love the work we do, and we commit to our work.
Adventure: We go off the beaten tracks.
Autonomy: We make decisions and take responsibility for our actions.
- Diverse and challenging projects
- A place in a highly motivated and skilled team and an ambitious company
- Positive, healthy work environment
- Coaching and plenty of opportunities for personal development
- A high degree of freedom and responsibility
- Competitive salary and benefits
- We work in autonomous development teams of 6-12 people. This ensures tight communications, a real sense of ownership and truly agile development.
In our weekly round table meetings, all aspects of the company are discussed. We believe in transparency and autonomy, and this creates a high degree of freedom and responsibility. (Note that this is not for everyone, so please only apply if this concept appeals to your inner pirate!).
For more information, see paladinstudios.com and paladinstudios.com/blog.
How to apply
Does this sound good? Awesome! To apply please go to the job-listing here and fill in the form.
About Paladin Studios
We create games that make people smile – be it a sweet twinkle, loud laugh, or evil grin.
Paladin is a game developer based in The Hague, The Netherlands. We are a team of 40+ knights, and growing fast. Our mission is to create games with a spark for players all over the world. We achieve this goal by being a world-class game studio with soul, that brings out the best in people. That means a studio filled to the brim with creativity, professionalism, and good vibes.
For more information, please visit www.paladinstudios.com/jobs!