Are you an experienced Tech- / System Designer? And would you like to share your knowledge and experience with students? Then this is the job for you! You will work in our top-rated Games bachelor’s programme, making a substantial contribution to ensuring that our students become the leading specialists in the Games industry. The Games bachelor’s programme is one of the programmes taught at the Academy for Games & Media of Breda University of Applied Sciences. We work together with industry partners and have alumni in leading game studios. You will be working near the city centre of Breda, on a green, sustainable and high-tech campus.
About this job
You will be teaching enthusiastic Game Design students about prototyping, scripting (blueprinting) and/or system design. You will draw upon your experience in working on console and/or PC games, as this position is primarily focused on sharing your skills and knowledge with students. You will guide and supervise our students as they work on game projects in our simulated studio environment. In addition, you will also be involved in developing and delivering workshops and lectures or you will invite your industry connections to deliver guest lectures. You will work closely together with fellow lecturers in a small team where you will have the freedom to perform your role as you see fit.
What do we ask of you?
- You are a positive and pro-active person who feels at home working in a diverse group of people;
- You have a hands-on mentality and have experience with tools such as Unreal, Unity or proprietary game development tools;
- You are comfortable with the technical implementation of game systems and/or creating prototypes;
- You have knowledge of theoretical game design practices;
- You have at least one published game on your CV;
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
In addition, you either already have teaching experience, or you are willing to undertake training in this area. We will also offer you the opportunity of obtaining a master’s degree.
What do we offer?
- The salary for this position amounts to a monthly minimum of € 3,881.09 and a monthly maximum of € 5,332.48 (gross amounts based on full-time employment);
- This position is classified in scale 11 of the cao-hbo (collective labour agreement);
- The position is a permanent position. We will start with an appointment for one year. In the case of good performance and unchanged organisational circumstances, a permanent appointment will follow;
- Your commuting expenses will be fully reimbursed if you travel by public transport;
- You will receive a 13th month payment and an 8% holiday allowance;
- You will receive compensation for health insurance;
- You will also be awarded professional development hours every year and approximately eleven weeks of holiday entitlements for a full-time position;
- You will be working on a green, sustainable campus near the city centre of Breda;
- Moving from abroad to Breda in the Netherlands? We provide support and financial compensation in the case of relocation and settling-in in the Netherlands. Dutch tax authorities may offer tax reduction to applicants from abroad (which makes tax rates comparable to the UK and US).
The application process
Please send us your application in English before 5 October 2022 via the online application form (see link on this page). Do you have any questions? Feel free to contact Ard Bonewald at [email protected] for questions about the job itself, or [email protected] for questions about the application process. You will receive a reply to your application two weeks after the closing date at the latest. Job interviews will be held on campus with three staff members.
If you already have an account on our website, you can log in and apply for this position directly. The information in your profile will be used for your application which will save you time filing it. Among candidates with equal qualifications and experience, preference will be given to the internal candidate.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
About Breda University of Applied Sciences
Breda University of Applied Sciences is an independent and international higher education institute, specialising in the disciplines of Built Environment, Data Science & AI, Facility, Games, Hotel, Leisure & Events, Logistics, Media, Tourism.
Breda University of Applied Sciences (hereinafter referred to as BUas) is committed to making a contribution to our globalising society by training young people to become responsible professionals – in cooperation with the international industries. Furthermore, BUas aims to create a stimulating workplace for both students and staff, to enable them to integrate knowledge and skills, to develop their talents to the fullest and apply these to society in a professional and responsible manner.
The Academy for Games & Media offers bachelor’s and master’s programmes in Creative Media & Game Technology (CMGT), Creative Business (CB) and Applied Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (ADS&AI).
The CMGT programme is a programme teaching all aspects of game development. The CB programme is a management study programme with focus on how media concepts work, what the media trends are and how to make your own media products. The academy also offers a Master in Media Innovation as well as a Master in Game Technology.
Our programmes are rated highly in both national and international league tables (National Student Survey, Elsevier and Princeton ranking) because of their professional orientation as well as the quality and experience of our staff. The staff of the academy are recruited from all over the world (e.g. USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Italy, Belgium, and the Netherlands) and all courses are taught in English.