Are you looking to collaborate in a multidisciplinary team to implement engaging engine features and rendering systems in Unreal 4 to create visual splendor for our groundbreaking VR games and experiences? Do you want to be responsible for parts of the technical core of our games and experiences?
Are you comfortable cooperating closely with our art team to deliver the very best? Do you like mentoring other programmers to get the best out of them?
Do you know how to dive into a large codebase to track down that tiny part of code that is causing performance issues, were you won’t stop until it has been found, to the delight of your fellow team members?
Is C++ your main programming language, because the full control of it really gets you excited and are you equally passionate about the triple AAA potential of the Unreal Engine?
Then we are surely looking for you!
* To stand at the core of larger engine changes and expansions, working closely together with the tech lead to make it fit the complete codebase, working closely together with the artists to identify the visual requirements and working closely together with our core tech team so all our projects can benefit from shareable technology;
* To use your knowledge of C++, object orientation, design patterns, algorithms and data structures to create solid technical designs and efficient implementations of these engine systems and adjustments;
* To adapt and expand upon our studio pipeline and coding standards to create spectacular and immersive games and experiences;
* To use your knowledge of rendering, shaders and math to create new graphical features that enable our art team to create the highest visual standard for VR;
* To constantly take performance into account so our games and experiences can keep running at a smooth 72+ FPS, even when rendering to both eyes and using the latest and greatest mobile hardware to do so;
* To analyze problems and debug them in order to quickly locate and fix challenging bugs;
* To guide and mentor less experienced programmers so they can quickly improve within the studio.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
* You have clear experience working on the low level side of game engines (preferably Unreal 4) to create special features or functionality that can be used in games, or you have clear experience setting up your own engine, including a rendering pipeline, and at a good optimization level;
* You have written a number of engine adjustments or engine parts in C++ and have a great understanding of all the basic concepts of the language like the object oriented approach, pointers and references, containers, inheritance, polymorphism, functions, structures, visibility, etc;
* Next to that you also have good understanding of some of the more advanced concepts like smart pointer types, templates, multiple inheritance, overloading, etc;
* You have experience with Unreal 4;
* It is a clear bonus if you have already worked in VR.
* EU citizen or eligible to work in the EU;
* Technical and very precise at the same time;
* Social and collaborative;
* Excited by the potential of VR;
* You are comfortable with working under tight deadline in a fast-paced environment.
WHAT WE OFFER:
* A culture that values a healthy work-life balance;
* Studio location in the heart of Amsterdam;
* Flexible working hours;
* Benefits according to experience and job;
* 26 Standard vacation days with an option to buy 5 more;
* A healthy lunch buffet with regular hot meals and specials;
* 30% Income tax ruling for eligible expats;
* Relocation cost compensation depending on your situation;
* Free pension plan;
* Free train commuting when living outside of Amsterdam;
* Group activities and an annual VR game jam;
* Friday afternoon drinks;
* The latest VR hardware which you can borrow and take home.
About Force Field Entertainment
Force Field History
Force Field was created in 2015 when Vanguard Games merged with a VR startup. The company is led by two industry veterans, Chief Creative Officer Martin de Ronde (Co-Founder of Guerilla Games and Founder of One Big Game) and CEO Arthur Houtman (with prior executive roles at Atari and Disney).
Martin and Arthur both have a passion for immersive technologies such as VR and AR; they are convinced that these technologies will play an increasingly important role in the future of entertainment. Led by this vision, they have shaped Force Field into one of the world’s leading studios in VR/AR games and experiences production.
Over the first 4 years of Force Field’s existence the company has launched more than 10 consumer projects, all receiving critical acclaim and winning many international awards