Generate is a Boston-based MIT-spin off technology company with the mission to digitize one of the world’s largest and least digital industries: the 12-trillion-dollar Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) sector. Read our mission here.
We are bringing the many innovations and techniques from state-of-the-art gaming technology (like Proceduralism, GPGPU, Real-Time Graphics, and more) into transforming how the AEC sector designs and builds. When implemented at scale, our technology can help tackle the global climate and housing crises by accelerating the deployment of cost-effective, sustainable building materials and systems.
Our team is seeking an experienced Unreal Engine C++ Software Engineer to develop and deploy the technology at scale.
In this role, you will:
- Work as part of a small development team in a lean engineering environment on incremental releases of design software with a planned public launch in Q4 2022. You will make significant contributions to the software’s structure and features with a laser focus on providing a fluid, game-like, user-centric design experience.
- Contribute to significant aspects of the product development process — data structures, algorithm design, computational geometry, procedural geometry generation, history systems, inferencing and constraint systems, and building information modeling systems, runtime procedural construction system generation, runtime procedural building facades and interiors, custom compute based rasterization in Unreal Engine, and Houdini-esque building design tools.
- Contribute expertise and intuition to monthly feature development workshops, bi-weekly sprint planning meetings, and quick daily standups.
- Engage in open-ended workshop sessions, to help the product get from “a user wants to do X” to “here is how we will implement X, given our product architecture.”
- Collaborate with our small, cross-functional team of game developers, architects, and product designers to develop innovative solutions to creating and generating buildings (walls, floors, windows, doors, beams, columns, furniture, etc.).
- Deep, intuitive understanding of C++ and modern software design principles.
- Deep, intuitive understanding of Unreal Engine 4.
- Track record in the software, technology, or game industries.
- Experience building and shipping successful games or products
- Comfort with the lean product development process in a startup environment: including regular pivots, difficult choices about resource prioritization, and an emphasis on product-market fit.
- A drive to understand and solve complex problems with novel, creative, and practical solutions.
- Self-motivated and a self-starter.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, both virtually and in person.
- Familiarity with version control (We use Git).
- Operate in a workplace environment conducive to the respectful debate of ideas and opinions. Our team has incredible talent, and our technology will only become better if everyone gets to respectfully challenge each other’s ideas to arrive at the best possible solution.
- Most importantly, treat team members kindly—kindness is contagious, and nobody should feel disrespected in an intrinsically stressful technology-development environment.
NICE TO HAVES
- Experience with computational and procedural mesh geometry.
- Previous development of user-facing tools or desktop software.
- CAD industry experience (Autodesk, Dassault, OnShape, SolidWorks, etc.).
- Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) industry experience.
- Experience with networked systems, distributed data, CRDT, or collaborative editing.
Please include links to any representative code or portfolio samples you can share (Github, Bitbucket, tools, games, apps, etc.) in the “Experience Summary” section of the application. We would prefer candidates in the US or Canada, but are eager to talk to anyone with a track record in the game development space and making great software.
Generate is remote work first with a willingness to discuss relocation to Boston, Massachusetts: a global epicenter of technological innovation!
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants from all backgrounds, including those from historically underrepresented communities. We are committed to reflecting the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in the workplace and in the products we deliver to the industry. We are excited to hear from you!
APPLY HERE: application link