We are Vertigo Studios, the largest VR developer in the world and part of the Embracer Group, the largest group of developers in the world.
As our Amsterdam studio kicks off development of its most ambitious project to date, a true multi-platform AAA VR action shooter based on a global franchise, we are looking to recruit an experienced Art Director who can aid us in our mission.
Are you a game industry veteran who understands the importance of crafting an artistic vision which frames the player’s experience and gives focus to team’s efforts?
Are you an inspirational leader who knows when to let the creativity flow and when to play it safe?
Can you effortlessly collaborate across disciplines, working within constraints to develop and communicate an artistic vision that fulfills the project’s goals?
If so, then we would love to hear from you!
* Own and drive the development of the artistic vision across multiple AAA VR projects
* Motivate and inspire creativity across the whole development team
* Guide and stimulate the growth of the artist team’s creativity
* Work alongside the Senior Art Lead to ensure that all the art assets meet the artistic vision, this includes e.g. levels, props, characters, special effects, lighting
* Present and promote the artistic vision through writing, discussions, style guides, reference materials, real-time content (VR) or other visual media
* Establish and maintain relationships with external vendors and business partners in relation to visual development
* Take direction from the Game Director and collaborate with the team to identify and solve issues and create opportunities
* Co-operate with marketing, PR, and the creative leadership to create branding and marketing materials for the projects
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
* You have worked in an Art Director role throughout the full development cycle on AAA console/PC titles for 8+ years
* You possess excellent English language communication skills, both written and verbal
* You can demonstrate effective creative leadership on projects based upon existing and original IP’s
* You can effortlessly render images by hand using electronic or traditional media to communicate artistic ideals, both realistic and stylized
* You have an in depth understanding of the principles of art, including styling, tone, composition, color, and art history
BONUS SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
* You are experienced in developing with Unreal Engine
* You can create high quality 3d meshes, ideally using Maya/Substance tool chain
* You have a track record of growing a visual development team
* You are experienced in VR development
* You are ambitious and creative, always aiming for the highest possible quality
* You are excited by the challenges and opportunities of working in the new media of VR/XR
* Your passion drives continuous personal development and artistic expression
* You are organized and forward looking
* You have a portfolio of outstanding professional and personal work
WHAT WE OFFER:
* A company culture that values a healthy work-life balance
* Flexible working hours
* 26 Standard vacation days with an option to buy 5 more
* A healthy lunch in our canteen (when working from the office)
* 30% Income tax reduction for eligible expats
* Relocation cost compensation depending on your situation
* Free pension plan
* Free train commuting when living outside of Amsterdam
* Group activities and an annual VR game jam (also whilst working from home)
* Friday afternoon drinks (online)
* The latest VR hardware and titles which you can borrow and take home
* Whilst working from home we provide all the relevant hardware, budget for desk and chair and a contribution toward your energy costs
About Vertigo Studios Amsterdam
Force Field is now Vertigo Studios Amsterdam, part of the Vertigo Games Group the world’s largest VR games development and publishing company.
Vertigo Studios has operations in Rotterdam and Amsterdam together employing over 150 people spread over the 2 locations. Vertigo Studios Rotterdam is best known for VR hit Arizona Sunshine and the hotly anticipated AAA VR game After the Fall.
Vertigo Studios Amsterdam was founded in 2015. Its founders are game industry veterans having previously founded Guerilla Games (Kill Zone, Horizon Zero Dawn) and held executive positions at leading games companies such as Atari and Disney.
Our creative teams have been responsible for developing award winning VR Games and Experiences producing a wide range of top-quality projects. Our Core Technology team, working closely with leading hard and software companies, assures the studio stays at the forefront of the latest innovations in VR.
Now responding to the rapid growth of VR as a gaming platform the studio in Amsterdam is working on several AAA VR games and we are looking for the best creative talent to join us.
Come join our international team in the center of Amsterdam. Please take a look at our website to see our vacancies!