We are Vertigo Studios, the largest VR developer in the world and part of the Embracer Group, the largest group of developers in the world.
As our Amsterdam studio kicks off development of its most ambitious project to date, a true multi-platform high-end VR action shooter based on a global franchise, we are looking to recruit a seasoned Lead Artist who can guide a team of talented creatives.
The Lead Environment Artist is responsible for the visual appearance of the game’s environments, making sure they meet the artistic direction, the gameplay experience, and the technical constraints. As an experienced artist they can lead by example by getting ‘hands on’ in any stage of developing the environment art. The Lead Environment Artist is also accountable for the output of the environment art team and ensures that their team has everything that they need to deliver to the highest quality.
As a leader, they work closely with the Art Director to develop the artistic vision, and the Senior Lead Artist to ensure production processes and constraints are adhered to, or enhanced, to push the boundaries of what can be achieved.
As an artist, they are actively creating works of art that inspire others to grow and develop new skills and ways of working.
* Accountable for their team’s delivery of digital in-game art assets, from 3D meshes and materials to shaders, lighting and environmental vfx.
* Ensures their team complies with the project’s vision, artistic direction, workflow, and technical requirements
* Builds their team’s skills and expertise through mentoring in a way that facilitates motivation and creativity in the team
* Engages with the leads and production team in high-level planning of the project, ensuring their team’s deliverables meet project milestones
* Instigates high-level art-related decisions during the development of the project regarding art-related project risks
* Facilitates effective cooperation with other disciplines, notably: tech, design, and production
* Demonstrates a high level of creativity and originality in treatment of both licensed and original IP
* Keep up to date with relevant developments related to game art production in the market, current and future, following up on new technologies and tools when required
* Represent the studio to external stakeholders and other contacts
* Proactively identify skills and experience gaps in the project’s art team
* Assist the Creative Department Manager with the growth and development of the studio’s art team
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
* 3+ Years in a Lead Environment Artist role, with experience of the full development cycle on console/PC titles
* Strong traditional art fundamentals, including the function of form and color, proportions, shape
* Proven track record in crafting content that meets both the creative aspiration of the team and needs of the product
* Demonstrable hands-on art skills, and a desire to keep it that way
* Highly skilled in agile development methods, a master of Jira and Confluence to track and manage progress
* Can demonstrate an ability to own complex issues across disciplines and teams
BONUS SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
* Working knowledge of environment art implementation in Unreal Engine 4 or 5
* Experience of developing content for VR
* A big passion games, art, and visual storytelling
* Proven creative track record with achievements to show it
* Can communicate freely in English, both written and verbal
* Experienced creative leader that inspires the team
WHAT WE OFFER:
* A company culture that values a healthy work-life balance
* Flexible working hours (hybrid working model)
* 26 Standard vacation days with an option to buy 5 more
* A healthy lunch in our canteen (when working from the office)
* 30% Income tax reduction for eligible expats
* Relocation cost compensation depending on your situation
* Free pension plan
* Free train commuting when living outside of Amsterdam
* Group activities and an annual VR game jam (also whilst working from home)
* Tuesday or Thursday afternoon drinks
* The latest VR hardware and titles which you can borrow and take home
* Whilst working from home we provide all the relevant hardware, budget for desk and chair and a contribution toward your energy costs
About Vertigo Studios Amsterdam
Force Field is now Vertigo Studios Amsterdam, part of the Vertigo Games Group the world’s largest VR games development and publishing company.
Vertigo Studios has operations in Rotterdam and Amsterdam together employing over 150 people spread over the 2 locations. Vertigo Studios Rotterdam is best known for VR hit Arizona Sunshine and the hotly anticipated AAA VR game After the Fall.
Vertigo Studios Amsterdam was founded in 2015. Its founders are game industry veterans having previously founded Guerilla Games (Kill Zone, Horizon Zero Dawn) and held executive positions at leading games companies such as Atari and Disney.
Our creative teams have been responsible for developing award winning VR Games and Experiences producing a wide range of top-quality projects. Our Core Technology team, working closely with leading hard and software companies, assures the studio stays at the forefront of the latest innovations in VR.
Now responding to the rapid growth of VR as a gaming platform the studio in Amsterdam is working on several high-end VR games and we are looking for the best creative talent to join us.
Come join our international team in the center of Amsterdam. Please take a look at our website to see our vacancies!